Toronto Dogs Electrocuted
I was saddened to hear that three dogs were electrocuted in Toronto last week as they stepped over manhole covers in the High Park area. Two of them did not survive. No humans were injured except for one police officer I think who touched one of the dog’s collars. She got a shock but will be okay.
This was not the first time that such a thing happened to dogs as the same type of accidents occurred in High Park in 2008, again with canine fatalities. This must be so heartbreaking to the dog owners. Dogs are a big part of our personal happiness as I explained in a motivational video a few months ago. What a nasty way for a dog to end its life.
The Toronto hydro is still investigating why some of their manhole covers were live with electrical current. I think the dog owners who lost their dogs this way should have enough grounds to sue the hydro even though this would not bring back their beloved dogs. Still, I think hydro should be punished somehow as having live manhole covers is so unacceptable for the public.
If my memory serves me correctly, I think there were some incidents that were similar involving metal plates near the sidewalks of Toronto’s Yorkville area a few years ago. Again, I think 1-2 dogs died as a result.
As this is not the first time such incidents have happened, the question is what should dog owners in the High Park area do when they walk their dogs? What do you think? Feel free to enter your comments below. I would be very nervous to take my dogs out in that area again.
Fortunately, when I do take my Lhasa Apso dogs out, I don’t think there are any metal plates or manhole covers in our area.